Monday, November 9, 2020

Vanity Publishing

 


Before beginning my publishing journey with Westbow Press I want to explain the problem I have with the term "vanity publishing". As a new author looking for publication I read tons of disrespectful blogs and commentaries on vanity publishing. Every article made those seeking to publish non-traditionally as vain-glorious and pathetic. However, I couldn't help thinking that I wasn't publishing for my "glory" but because I, and others, believed that my story was good and would bring joy to readers. It started me thinking about how arrogant these "traditionally-published" writers were. Just because they got a break or got a publishing contract didn't mean their work was any better than anyone else. Plenty of self-published authors gained attention for their work because the READERS wanted it. Basically what I'm trying to say is if you believe in your work don't let anyone make you feel "vain" or "narcissistic" or any other selfish adjective. There are so many platforms available that the traditional publishers no longer have a monopoly on books...just be prepared to have to market and work your butt off to get noticed.

Now, back to Westbow. I was/am blessed to have enough income to put a couple thousand dollars into my work. I believed in it and others believed in it, so the idea of "you gotta spend money to make money" made sense to me. I did a little research and found that Westbow Press is a subsidiary of Thomas Nelson publishing (a large Christian publishing house) and submitted my manuscript and got accepted. An aside--EVERYONE gets accepted by these places. You are not somehow a genius or special because they accept it. They want your money...just so you understand. However, I believed my manscript must be something great and began the process.

I have worked with three self/hybrid publishing houses and Westbow was by far the best and the only one that actually paid me royalties. I found the process exciting. Unlike a traditional publisher, where you sell them your manuscript and they edit, format, pick the cover, write the back cover, etc., I was involved in every part of the process. From choosing the font, to creating the cover, to type setting (with help from professionals of course) it was a great learning experience. For instance, I learned that the first paragraph of every chapter or section of your book is not indented. They all begin at the left. I remember getting the proof of my book and seeing that and being aghast, because I knew that I'd indented. However my liaison explained that that was how books are published...and sure enough, looking through all my traditionally published books that is how it is set.


Sadly with Westbow Press they could not give me the exact cover I wanted (I got that when I switched to Tate Publishing), BUT the cover that we created together was cool. In fact some people like the first edition cover better (I do have some available for purchase). Anyhow, I had the option of getting hard cover books made, and chose too, which began the cover sleeve design. That was fun because while the soft covers had a front, side, and back, the hard cover had the folded sleeves to be "decorated." I took the time to look up quotes that had to do with the story and put them on for inspirational purposes. I LOVE book covers so for me it was a very special activity.

Finally the book was finished, published, put on line, copies sent to me and then...nothing. Marketing was the part of the process I did not figure on having to do. While the books were available online, they were not in bookstores. They could be ordered through a book store, but since there is limited shelf space most did not pick up unknown authors. That frustrated me, because while they did not lie about book store distribution, they did not actually explain that you wouldn't be in book stores. Also, book signings and book shows were an extra expense. Sure you could have your book in a catalogue, but if you wanted space you had to pay extra. Turned out EVERYTHING to do with marketing was extra or done on your own. Some thing, I see now as okay, but as a newly published author, who had put thousands into publishing and marketing I felt a bit cheated. (although in fact I was not). 

After a year of talking with different liaisons for marketing and getting nowhere, I began looking into different companies for my second book. Oi-vey!!! My next chapter was Tate Publishing...which started out good and ended up REALLY bad. But that is a story for next week!

Keep writing! Believe in yourself! And come back next week for more of the journey! And keep on RESISTING!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment