Monday, February 8, 2021

Of Reading and Writing

 


Hello Kim Bishop fans out there! Today I thought I'd share a new insight I had this week while trying to figure out how to stop procrastinating and get my book out of my head and into the word processor. While Covid has certainly messed up reality, (in any world really) it is not my whole issue. Not being able to engage people due to mask wearing is a part of my struggle to get the old imagination running, but also my reading habits are at fault.

Now we all know that to be a great writer one does need to be a great reader as well, BUT maybe what we read impacts our writing. I've been reading the "Wheel of Time" series for the past few years, on and off because 15 books with between 800 and 950 pages each is a LOT to read. I used to mix it up and read a bit of Clive Cussler or Ted Dekker or Tosca Lee in between books, but then I got a bee in my bonnet to finish the series. So, for the past, probably two years, I have been reading the series in my free time (which I have to say is NOT as much as I'd like). And as wonderful as the story is I think it got me stuck in one genre. 

My books encompass adventure, spiritual warfare, as well as a bit of fantasy and sci-fi, so getting in a rut of one genre has stifled my writing. I know, it sounds strange. I still watch super hero shows and action movies and other types of television nonsense, but I think the inspiration for writing (at least for me) comes more from reading...keeping fresh on dialogue and action sequences is, for my books, a bit more important than the extensive world building and backdrop of the "Wheel of Time". So, after finishing book nine, I have jumped back into the worlds of Clive Cussler. ...Such a faster read!!! BAM!!! my writing senses are beginning to tingle again. So, hopefully, by next week I will be churning out some rough drafts.

The mind is a funny thing...which is why I choose to share my kooky experiences with fellow writers and readers. You just never know who else out there is having the same issues. Hopefully, someday we'll be able to get back to in-person writing conferences and book signings and just get togethers where we can have face to face discussions again (without masks.)


Well, here ends my blog for this week. Remember to keep on resisting the evils of the world and fighting for what you believe in. The only thing we really have is who we are...never let a disease or anyone else take that away! Join the Resistance

No comments:

Post a Comment