Monday, February 15, 2021

What Do Authors Do Besides Writing?


 Do you ever wonder what authors do besides writing? I always pictured an author sitting at a computer (typewriter) everyday, just writing away. Sometimes stuck with writers block chewing on a pen or pencil trying to get momentum. In actuality authors (with small exceptions) have other jobs and write when they get a chance. Kind of like people who do arts and crafts, or musicians who jam when they have a moment, gardeners who love summer weekends in the garden, gamers who get entertainment from games, or sports fans who watch every game and know all the stats. We write because we like it...and if luck hits some of us we become famous and make money. 😃

I am currently a full time home maker, but have been a town council member, teacher, day care provider, and mum and although I wish I could write all the time, I just don't have the time. Today I vacuumed, did dishes, roasted a squash, made scones, and tidied here an there. In a month or so I'll start getting the garden ready for planting, on top of doing the domestics and cooking. I'm also a grandma, so every other week I get to spend time with my grand daughter doing crafts, making up stories, and basically playing whatever comes to her mind. When do I write??? *sigh* When time allows.

As I wrote last week, I've been reading different genres and now the characters in my mind are beginning to come to life. So as I clean or cook or do whatever I am writing in my head. The pictures of what my characters are doing or could be doing play over and over. When I'm doing something a new idea will pop into my head and a new chapter begins. By the time I get to sit in front of the computer to write, it's gonna be epic!!! Now to find the time. hahaha.

I love the process of writing...imagination, giving way to characters, giving way to scenes that are totally different than I had planned orginally. While a painter has a brush and canvas or porcelain and a musician has an instrument and staffs, and a collector has places to fill, a writer has their mind and their computer/typewriter/paper and pen. We all create in our own ways. Writers paint pictures with words--how cool is that? 😎 I love writing and sharing my vision and ideas with others. Perhaps as I begin the new work I'll share the process and maybe sneak peaks.

Well now I have to go and get dinner going...we eat early because hubby commutes early in the morning and goes to bed early. I hope everyone who likes to create gets out and does it whenever possible. It's what keeps us going! As always remember to Resist! evil and strive toward good!

meet the resistance

No comments:

Post a Comment